Adapted from Jon Pell, Executive Chef and Owner of the Sunflower Restaurant in Boulder, Colorado.
16 ounces tempeh (2 blocks, poached in a tamari broth, cooled and sliced)
2 cups quartered mushrooms
½ cups thinly slices yellow onions
1 teaspoon fresh, minced rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh mince garlic
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 ounces natural red wine (we recommend Cannonou or Monica from Cardedu by Sergio Loi)
6 ounces fresh vegetable stock
- Dust the tempeh slices with flour, salt and pepper and brown both sides in a medium hot pan with olive oil, creating a roux.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, rosemary and sauté for another minute or two.
- Deglaze the pan with wine and reduce by one half
- Add the vegetable stock and lemon juice and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes
- Toss with the parsley and serve immediately with your favorite organic grain, mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables